We all love to snack, but some snacks serve us better than others! Highly processed, super sweet or highly salted foods tend to leave me feeling bloated, in need of a nap, or both. Who has time for that on a beautiful summer day? Instead, I try to keep a supply of energy boosting, nutritious treats on hand that keep me fueled and ready to enjoy the sunshine. This Golden Beet Turmeric Hummus is not only delicious and satisfying, but also contains a healthy dose of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. So easy to make, and perfect served up with some farm-fresh vegetable crudite for a crunchy contrast.
- 1 lb peeled Golden Beets
- 6 unpeeled cloves Garlic
- 2 Cups cooked or 1 15 oz can Chick Peas (reserve liquid)
- 2 - 4 T cooking liquid
- 2 T Tahini
- 4 T fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- Optional Toppings for serving: Olive Oil, Hungarian Paprika, Za'atar, Parley, Sesame Seeds
- Cut beets in 1" pieces, toss with unpeeled garlic cloves, some avocado or olive oil, and a bit of sea salt. Roast at 400 degrees F on a parchment lined baking sheet. Once cooled, simply squeeze the garlic out of its peel. NOTE: To save time, this step can be done up to 24 hours in advance.
- Place beets, garlic, and chick peas in food processor and blend to break down and combine. Add a bit of the cooking liquid and blend to a smoother consistency.
- Add tahini, 3 T lemon juice, and dry spices. Blend to combine.
- Taste, and add remaining liquid and lemon juice as needed to achieve desired texture and flavor.
- When serving, add optional toppings as you wish.
- Enjoy with raw vegetables, crackers or flat bread, or as part of a collard green wrap!